|Location||Mt. Juliet, TN|
|Date Posted||October 8, 2020|
Summary of Role
The Application Engineer (AE) is responsible for providing technical advice and support to the sales and customer teams in order to develop, sell and successfully implement Trelleborg product, capabilities or service solutions that will meet the customer’s needs. The AE will analyze the customers technical needs, incorporate the commercial needs, in order to develop proposals, with the support of Trelleborg factory and engineering support groups, outlining how the organization’s products and services can meet these needs and be integrated and implemented with the customers new and existing systems and equipment. Pre-sales activities include gathering of data, analyzing customer application, technical and commercial needs and recommending solutions. Proposals can include preparation of the associated engineering drawings or 3D CAD models, explanations of proper implementation and installation techniques, presentations of research and findings, and personal communication with customer team. Post-sales activities include analyzing seal failures, installation issues, hardware issues, overall system failures, and resolving problems and issues utilizing Trelleborg systems, procedures and resources.
The AE is responsible for building relationships across all levels of engineering departments within existing customers and prospective target accounts to generate new business opportunities.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The primary function of the Application Engineer (AE) position is to provide technical advice and proposals to the sales team and customer team in order to develop, sell and successfully implement the Trelleborg product, capabilities and service solutions.
- Collect and analyze information from customers to understand their business and their technical needs and expectations.
- Develop technical proposals to show how Trelleborg’s products and services can meet customer needs and be integrated and implemented with the customers existing systems and equipment and/or suggest changes needed in order to integrate the solution.
- Develop and deliver technical sales presentations and respond to technical questions regarding Trelleborgs products, services, and capabilities.
- Create or edit existing Trelleborg or Customer prints thru the use of NX, Adobe Pro, and other image editing software.
- Manage technical prints and documents, routing and storage, by utilizing Teamcenter.
- Coordinate cross-functionally to ensure the proper solutions are offered. Including, Trelleborg factories, SCM and 3rd party factory engineers, Trelleborg R&D test labs and Central Product Engineering, Product Managers, and Segment Managers.
- Respond to customers questions and troubleshoot, investigate, and resolve technical problems that arise during or after implementation of Trelleborg solutions.
- Identify value propositions for solution and be able to transition and explain customer value.
- Assist in achieving Sales Growth targets
- Assist in achieving Profitability Goals
- Process and manage engineering projects in a timely manner with a focus on project cycle velocity and project conversion.
- Filter and prioritize projects to ensure achievability according to business strategy.
- Understand and incorporate the commercial aspects (target budget/sales price) of the project when developing and providing proposals and solutions to meet customer needs.
- Track, monitor and work to improve project win rate. Utilize CRM for all project information.
- Conduct joint sales visits with Sales Engineers.
- Visit existing and new strategic customers with the focus being Total Customer Satisfaction and Generation and Conversion of Projects for Sales Growth.
- Build customer relationships and strategic partnerships, assess customer needs and recommend appropriate product and service solutions; respond to complex customer inquiries. Utilize Trelleborg resources where appropriate and needed.
- Focus on specific segment as required by region
- Provide market feedback and intelligence for use by sales team, Marketing Department, Segment/Product/Lead Group personnel
- Promote standard products, and custom engineered products and/or services where needed. Be a total solution provider.
- Perform in-house product and technical trainings.
- Article number creation and set up
- Complete KPI reporting and submit the first week of each Month. Including but not limited to: EAR projects, Project win rates, Project cycle and velocity, competitor activity, and changing market conditions.
- Learn and utilize internal processes: CRM, JDE, GPS, Consense, Quality, ISO.
- Develop and implement procedures to ensure that customer projects, quotations and orders are processed efficiently, correctly and in a timely manner.
- Submit quote requests through supply chain for new opportunities to aid the Sales Engineer in receiving costing in a timely manner.
- Ensure full compliance with all Standard Operating Procedures including Quality Manual and Quality Procedures.
- Develop cross training and work instructions for internal and customer specific tasks.
- Represent MA and region in cross-functional teams and projects.
- Assist customer facing staff with quality related issues.
- Assist in Information Technology (IT) efforts, looking for areas of improvement
- Provide proactive communication, analysis and problem solving
- Provide innovative solutions and continuous improvements
- Work with the right sense of urgency: Response times, flexibility and accuracy
- Assist TM and Regional Director in management reviews, business reviews and business plans
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance at all times when dealing with customers.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 1 year of work experience in engineering related field
- Minimum of 4 Year College Engineering degree. (Mechanical or Technical preferred)
- Strong understanding of technical prints and terminology.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of rubber/plastic products, seals and bearings is beneficial
- Application knowledge within specified market segments such as Fluid Power, Life Sciences, Food, Bev, Water, Off-Highway/Construction, Automotive, and Aerospace is beneficial
- Familiarity with ISO quality requirements is beneficial
- Strong mechanical and technical aptitude
- Proven proficiency and capabilities with 3D solid modeling software
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to mulit-task and manage projects with attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong customer focus and understanding of total customer satisfaction
- Strong understanding of the commercial side of the business and how it affects business decisions and solutions
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent people and relationship building skills
- Customer driven with a positive, professional, can-do attitude
- Strong analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
- Strong mathematical skills
- Proven proficiency and experience in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proven proficiency and experience in the use of business operational software (CRM, Oracle JDE, SAP)
- Travel - 20%
Can be located remote office, near any major airport in US East
Last application date: 2020-11-05
Please right-click the link to open in a new tab.